Information for the Year 1950
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Korean War begins when North Korean Communist forces invade South Korea.
- Sino-Soviet friendship treaty signed.
- Communist Chinese forces invade Tibet.
- British atomic physicist Klaus Fuchs is convicted of spying for the Soviet Union.
- Population: 2.556 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Ralph J. Bunche (US)
- Truman orders development of hydrogen bomb (Jan. 31).
- Assassination attempt on President Truman by Puerto Rican nationalists (Nov. 1).
- President: Harry S Truman
- Vice President: Alben W. Barkley
- Population: 152,271,417
- Life expectancy: 68.2 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $294.6 billion
- Federal spending: $42.56 billion
- Federal debt: $256.9 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): Income Information Not Available Before 1953
- Consumer Price Index: 24.1
- Unemployment: 5.9%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball NY Yankees defeated the Philadelphia Phillies
- National Basketball Association Championship Minneapolis Lakers defeated Syracuse
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Detroit defeated NY Rangers
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Louise Brough defeated M. duPont (6-1 3-6 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Budge Patty defeated F. Sedgman (6-1 8-10 6-2 6-3)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Middleground
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship CCNY defeated Bradley (SCORE 71-68)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Oklahoma (RECORD 10-1-0)
- World Cup Soccer Uruguay defeated Brazil
- Saturday morning children's programming begins.
- Phonevision, the first pay-per-view service, becomes available.
- Broadway classic Guys and Dolls debuts at the 46th Street Theatre and becomes an instant hit. The show ran for three years and became one of the Great White Way's longest-running shows, with 1,200 performances.
- Charles Schulz introduces the Peanuts comic strip.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: All the King's Men
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year The first Grammy Awards were not until 1959
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy Best Television Comedy Award Not Given Before 1953
- Miss America: Starting in 1950, the winner's title reflected to the following year (Miss America 1951), so there was never a Miss America 1950.
- Col. David C. Schilling (USAF) makes the first nonstop transatlantic jet flight in 10 hours and 1 minute (Sept. 22).
- The first Xerox machine is produced.
- The first self-service elevator is installed by Otis Elevator in Dallas.
- Richard Lawler (US) performs the first successful kidney transplant at Loyola University.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster