Information for the Year 1956
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Nikita Khrushchev, First Secretary of USSR Communist Party, denounces Stalin's excesses (Feb. 24).
- Morocco gains independence from France (March 1) and Spain (April 7).
- Workers' uprising against Communist rule in Poland is crushed (June 28-30).
- Egypt takes control of Suez Canal (July 26).
- Soviet troops and tanks crush anti-Communist uprisings in Hungary (November).
- Population: 2.833 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: The prize money had 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section for this year.
- Autherine Lucy, the first black student at the University of Alabama, is suspended after riots (March 1).
- U.S. tests the first aerial hydrogen bomb over Namu islet, Bikini Atoll with the force of 10 million tons TNT (May 21).
- President: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Vice President: Richard M. Nixon
- Population: 168,903,031
- Life expectancy: 69.7 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $438 billion
- Federal spending: $70.64 billion
- Federal debt: $272.7 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $4,780
- Consumer Price Index: 27.2
- Unemployment: 4.4%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball New York Yankees defeated Brooklyn Dodgers.
- National Basketball Association Championship Philadelphia Warriors defeated Ft. Wayne Pistons
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadians defeated Detroit Red Wings
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Shirley Fry defeated A. Buxton (6-3 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Lew Hoad defeated K. K. Rosewall(6-2 4-6 7-5 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Needles
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship San Francisco defeated Iowa (SCORE 63-81)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Oklahoma (RECORD 10-0-0)
- 1956 Summer Olympics held in Melbourne, Australia
- 1956 Winter Olympics held in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
- Elvis Presley emerges as one of the world's first rock stars.
- Kay Thompson's Eloise, the Plaza Hotel's most famous guest, is a bestseller.
- The Wizard of Oz has its first airing on TV.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Marty
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year The first Grammy Awards were not until 1959
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Phil Silvers Show - CBS
- Miss America: Sharon Ritchie (Colorado)
- Felix Wankel (Germany) develops the rotary internal combustion engine.
- The DNA molecule is first photographed.
- The neutrino is first observed at Los Alamos, New Mexico.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster