Information for the Year 1958
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- European Economic Community (Common Market) becomes effective (Jan. 1).
- Egypt and Syria merge into United Arab Republic (Feb. 1).
- Khrushchev becomes Premier of Soviet Union as Bulganin resigns (Mar. 27).
- Gen. Charles de Gaulle becomes French premier (June 1), remaining in power until 1969.
- Eisenhower orders US Marines into Lebanon at request of President Chamoun, who fears overthrow (July 15).
- Population: 2.945 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Rev. Dominique Georges Henri Pire (Belgium)
- The US Supreme Court rules unanimously that Little Rock, Ark., schools must integrate (Sept. 29).
- Army's Jupiter-C rocket fires first US satellite, Explorer I, into orbit (Jan. 31).
- President: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Vice President: Richard M. Nixon
- Population: 174,881,904
- Life expectancy: 69.6 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $467.3 billion
- Federal spending: $82.41 billion
- Federal debt: $279.7 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $5,087
- Consumer Price Index: 28.9
- Unemployment: 4.3%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03 ($0.04 as of 8/1/58)
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball New York Yankees defeated the Milwaukee Braves.
- National Basketball Association Championship St. Louis Hawks defeated Boston
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadians defeated Boston Bruins
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Althea Gibson defeated A. Mortimer (8-6 6-2)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Ashley Cooper defeated N. Fraser(3-6 6-3 6-4 13-11)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Tim Tam
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Kentucky defeated Seattle(SCORE 87-74)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions LSU (RECORD 11-0-0) and IOWA(RECORD (8-1-1)
- World Soccer Cup Brazil defeated Sweden
- Billboard debuts its Hot 100 chart. Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" boasts the first No. 1 record.
- Elvis Presley is inducted into the U.S. Army (March 24).
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Bridge on the River Kwai
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year The first Grammy Awards were not until 1959
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Phil Silvers Show - CBS
- Miss America: Marilyn Van Derbur (Colorado)
- First transatlantic jet passenger service started by BOAC, with a New York to London route (Oct. 4).
- The existence of the Van Allen Belt, a radiation belt surrounding the Earth, is confirmed by the Explorer I satellite.
- NASA initiates Project Mercury, aimed at putting a man in space within two years.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster