Information for the Year 1960
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- American U-2 spy plane, piloted by Francis Gary Powers, shot down over Russia (May 1).
- Khrushchev cancels Paris summit conference because of U-2 (May 16).
- Communist China and Soviet Union split in conflict over Communist ideology.
- There are 900 US military advisers in South Vietnam.
- Population: 3.039 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Albert John Luthuli (South Africa)
- John F. Kennedy defeats Richard Nixon in a closely-fought presidential race.
- Black sit-in at Greensboro, N.C., diner receives national attention.
- President: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Vice President: Richard M. Nixon
- Population: 180,671,158
- Life expectancy: 69.7 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $526.6 billion
- Federal spending: $92.19 billion
- Federal debt: $290.5 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $5,620
- Consumer Price Index: 29.6
- Unemployment: 5.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.04
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the New York Yankees
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated St. Louis Hawks
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadians defeated Toronto Maple Leafs
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Maria Bueno defeated S. Reynolds (8-6 6-0)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Neale Fraser defeated R. Laver(6-4 3-6 9-7 7-5)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Venetian Way
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Ohio State defeated California (SCORE 75-55)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Minnesota (RECORD 8-2-0) AND Mississippi (RECORD 10-0-1)
- 1960 Summer Olympics held in Rome, Italy
- 1960 Winter Olympics held in Squaw Valley, California (The first Winter Olympics held in the United States)
- Seventy million people watch the presidential debate between Sen. John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard Nixon.
- John Coltrane forms his own quartet and becomes the voice of jazz's New Wave movement.
- Ninety percent of U.S. homes have a television set.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Ben-Hur
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy Art Carney Special - NBC
- Miss America: Lynda Lee Mead (Mississippi)
- The first working laser is built by T. H. Maiman (US).
- Echo I, the first communications satellite, is launched.
- NASA launches Tiros I, the first weather satellite.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster