Information for the Year 1961
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- US breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba (Jan. 3).
- 1,200 US-sponsored anti-Castro exiles invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs (April 17); the attackers are all killed or captured by Cuban forces.
- OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) formally constituted.
- Population: 3.080 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Dag Hammarskj÷ld (Sweden)
- Robert Frost recites "The Gift Outright" at John F. Kennedy's inauguration (Jan. 20).
- First US astronaut, Navy Cmdr. Alan B. Shepard, Jr., rockets 116.5 miles up in 302-mile trip (May 5).
- Virgil Grissom becomes second American astronaut, making 118-mile-high, 303-mile-long rocket flight over Atlantic (July 21).
- President: John F. Kennedy
- Vice President: Lyndon B. Johnson
- Population: 183,691,481
- Life expectancy: 70.2 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $544.8 billion
- Federal spending: $97.72 billion
- Federal debt: $292.6 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $5,735
- Consumer Price Index: 29.9
- Unemployment: 5.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.04
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball the New York Yankees defeated the Cincinnati Reds
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated St. Louis Hawks
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Chicago Blackhaeks defeated Detroit Red Wings
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Angela Mortimer defeated C. Truman (4-6 6-4 7-5)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Rod Laver defeated C. McKinley (6-3 6-1 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Carry Back
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Cincinnati defeated Ohio State (SCORE 70-65 in Over Time)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Alabama (RECORD 11-0-0) and Ohio State (SCORE 8-0-1)
- Patsy Cline releases "I Fall to Pieces" and "Crazy." The success of the songs help her cross over from country to pop.
- Henry Mancini wins two Oscars and four Grammy Awards for the score to Breakfast at Tiffanys, which included the hit "Moon River."
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Apartment
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Theme From A Summer Place by Percy Faith
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Jack Benny Show - CBS
- Miss America: Nancy Fleming (Michigan)
- Moscow announces putting first man in orbit around earth, Major Yuri A. Gagarin (April 12).
- Gherman Stepanovich Titov is launched in Soviet spaceship Vostok II: makes 17 1/2 orbits in 25 hours, covering 434,960 miles before landing safely (Aug. 6).
- Alan B. Shepard becomes the first American man in space aboard the Freedom 7.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster