Information for the Year 1966
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- France withdraws its forces from NATO. President De Gaulle visits the USSR (June 20).
- Sukarno leaves office in Indonesia; Suharto assumes power.
- Botswana, Lesotho, and Guyana become independent states within the British Commonwealth.
- India suffers the worst famine in 20 years; Lyndon Johnson asks for $1 billion in aid to the country.
- Population: 3.415 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
- Medicare begins (July 1).
Stokeley Carmichael elected president of Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC).
- President: Lyndon B. Johnson
- Vice President: Hubert H. Humphrey
- Population: 196,560,338
- Life expectancy: 70.2 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $787.8 billion
- Federal spending: $134.53 billion
- Federal debt: $328.5 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $7,532
- Consumer Price Index: 32.4
- Unemployment: 4.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.05
- Super Bowl The first Super Bowl was not played until the year 1967.
- World Series of Baseball Baltimore defeated Los Angeles Dodgers
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated Los Angeles Lakers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadians defeated Detroit Red Wings
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Billie Jean King defeated M. Bueno (6-3 3-6 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Manuel Santana defeated D. Ralston (6-4 11-9 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Kauai King
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Texas Western defeated Kentucky (SCORE 72-65)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Notre Dame (RECORD 9-0-1) & Michigan St.(RECORD 9-0-1)
- World Cup Soccer England defeated West Germany
- The first Star Trek episode, "The Man Trap," is broadcast on September 8.
- The old Metropolitan Opera House is abandoned as the company moves to Lincoln Center.
- The new Metropolitan Opera opens with Samuel Barber's Antony and Cleopatra.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Sound of Music
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year A Taste of Honey by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Dick Van Dyke Show - CBS
- Miss America: Deborah Irene Bryant (Kansas)
- Insulin is first synthesized in China.
- MIT biochemist Har Khorana finishes deciphering the DNA code.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster