Information for the Year 1968
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- North Korea seizes US Navy ship Pueblo; holds 83 on board as spies (Jan. 23).
- North Vietnamese launch the Tet Offensive, a turning point in the Vietnam War (Jan.-Feb.).
- Czechoslovakia is invaded by Russians and Warsaw Pact forces to crush liberal regime (Aug. 20).
- Population: 3.556 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: René Cassin (France)
- President Johnson announces he will not seek or accept presidential renomination (March 31).
- Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader, is slain in Memphis (April 4).
- James Earl Ray, indicted in King murder, is sentenced to 99 years.
- Sen. Robert F. Kennedy is shot and critically wounded in Los Angeles hotel after winning California primary (June 5)—dies June 6.
- President: Lyndon B. Johnson
- Vice President: Hubert H. Humphrey
- Population: 200,706,052
- Life expectancy: 70.2 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $910.6 billion
- Federal spending: $178.13 billion
- Federal debt: $368.7 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $7,743
- Consumer Price Index: 34.8
- Unemployment: 3.8%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.05 ($0.06 as of 1/7/68)
- Super Bowl Green Bay Packers defeated Oakland Raiders (SCORE 33-14)
- World Series of Baseball Detroit defeated St. Louis Cardinals
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated Los Angeles Lakers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadians defeated St. Louis Blues
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Billie Jean King defeated J. Tegart (9-7 7-5)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Rod Laver defeated T. Roche (6-3 6-4 6-2)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Forward Pass
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship  UCLA d. North Carolina (SCORE 78-55)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Ohio St. (RECORD 10-0-0)
- 1968 Summer Olympics held in Mexico City, Mexico
- 1968 Winter Olympics held in Grenoble, France
- 60 Minutes airs on CBS, beginning its reign as the longest-running prime-time news magazine.
- The motion picture rating system debuts with G, PG, R.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: In the Heat of the Night
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Up, Up and Away by the 5th Dimension
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy Get Smart - NBC
- Miss America: Debra Dene Barnes (Kansas)
- JPrototype of world's first supersonic airliner. The Soviet-designed Tupolev Tu-144 made its first flight, Dec. 31. It first achieved supersonic speed on June 5, 1969.
- The largest reservoir of American petroleum north of Mexico is discovered in Alaska.
- The successful flight of Apollo 8 makes Commander Frank Borman, Command Module Pilot James Lovell, and Lunar Module Pilot William Anders the first people to orbit the moon.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster