Information for the Year 1970
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Biafra surrenders after 32-month fight for independence from Nigeria (Jan. 12).
- Rhodesia severs last tie with British Crown and declares itself a racially segregated republic (March 1).
- US troops invade Cambodia (May 1)
- A Palestinian revolt erupts in Jordan. Forces loyal to King Hussein suppress the revolt and expel the PLO from the country.
- Earthquake kills more than 50,000 in Peru (May 31).
- Egyptian President Nasser dies and is replaced by Anwar el-Sadat.
- Tonga (June 4) and Fiji (Oct. 10) gain independence from Britain.
- Population: 3.706 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Norman E. Borlaug (US)
- Four students at Kent State University in Ohio slain by National Guardsmen at demonstration protesting incursion into Cambodia (May 4).
- Senate repeals Gulf of Tonkin resolution (June 24).
- President: Richard M. Nixon
- Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew
- Population: 205,052,174
- Life expectancy: 70.8 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $1,035.60 billion
- Federal spending: $195.65 billion
- Federal debt: $380.9 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars):$8,734
- Consumer Price Index: 38.8
- Unemployment: 3.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.06
- Super Bowl Kansas City Chiefs defeated Minnesota Vikings (SCORE 23-7)
- World Series of Baseball Baltimore Orioles defeated the Cincinnati Red Socks
- National Basketball Association Championship New York defeated LA Lakers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Boston Bruins defeated St. Louis
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Margaret Court defeated Billy Jean King (14-12 11-9)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis John Newcombe defeated K. Rosewall (5-7 6-3 6-2 3-6 6-1)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Dust Commander
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship UCLA defeated Jacksonville(SCORE 80-69)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Nebraska (RECORD 11-0-1) and Texas (RECORD 10-1-0) and Ohio St. (RECORD 9-1-0)
- World Cup Soccer Brazil defeated Italy
- The Beatles break up. By the end of the year, each member had released a solo album.
- George C. Scott gives one of film's most memorable performances in Patton. He won the Best Actor Oscar for his turn as the title character, but refused the gold statuette.
- FCC regulations require separate ownership of television networks and studios.
- Monday Night Football debuts on ABC, with Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford, and Don Meredith giving play-by-play.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Midnight Cowboy
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In by the 5th Dimension
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy My World and Welcome To It - NBC
- Miss America: Pamela Anne Eldred (Missouri)
- Biochemist Hamilton O. Smith (US) discovers a restriction enzyme that will allow biologist Daniel Nathans (US) to map a complete viral genome.
- IBM introduces the floppy disk.
- Bar codes (computer-scanned binary signal code) are introduced for retail and industrial use in England.
- The LCD (liquid crystal display) is invented by Hoffmann-La Roche (Switzerland).
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster