Information for the Year 1974
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- OPEC ends the oil embargo begun in 1973 during the Yom Kippur War (Mar. 18).
- Nixon and Brezhnev meet in Moscow to discuss arms limitation agreements.
- Leftist revolution ends almost 50 years of dictatorial rule in Portugal (launched Apr. 25).
- India successfully tests an atomic device, becoming the world's sixth nuclear power (May 18).
- Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia is deposed. A collective military dictatorship assumes power (Sept. 12).
- Population: 4.012 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Eisaku Sato (Japan) and Sean MacBride (Ireland)
- Patricia Hearst, 19-year-old daughter of publisher Randolph Hearst, kidnapped by Symbionese Liberation Army (Feb. 5).
- House Judiciary Committee adopts three articles of impeachment charging President Nixon with obstruction of justice, failure to uphold laws, and refusal to produce material subpoenaed by the committee (July 30).
- Richard M. Nixon announces he will resign the next day, the first President to do so (Aug. 8).
- Vice President Gerald R. Ford of Michigan is sworn in as 38th President of the US (Aug. 9).
- Ford grants "full, free, and absolute pardon" to ex-President Nixon (Sept. 8).
- President: Richard M. Nixon
- Vice President: Gerald R. Ford
- Population: 213,853,928
- Life expectancy: 72.0 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $1,496.90 billion
- Federal spending: $269.36 billion
- Federal debt: $483.9 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $11,197
- Consumer Price Index: 49.3
- Unemployment: 5.6%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.08 ($0.10 as of 3/2/74)
- Super Bowl Miami Dolphins defeated Minnesota Vikings (SCORE 24-7)
- World Series of Baseball Oakland A's defeated Los Angeles Dodgers
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated Milwaukee
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Philadelphia Flyers defeated Boston Bruins
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Chris Evert defeated O. Morozova (6-0 6-4)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Jimmy Connors defeated K. Rosewall (6-1 6-1 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Cannonade
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship N.C. State defeated Marquette (SCORE 76-64)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Oklahoma (RECORD 11-0-0) and USC (RECORD 10-1-1)
- World Cup Soccer W. Germany defeated Holland
- People magazine debuts, with Mia Farrow gracing the cover.
- Premier Russian dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov defects and joins the American Ballet Theatre.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Sting
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy M*A*S*H - CBS
- Miss America: Rebecca Ann King (Colorado)
- A new elementary particle psi (now called J) is discovered by Burton Richter of Stanford University.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster