Information for the Year 1975
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge take over Cambodia (April).
- The city of Saigon is surrendered and remaining Americans are evacuated, ending the Vietnam War (April 30).
- American merchant ship Mayaguez, seized by Cambodian forces, is rescued in operation by US Navy and Marines, 38 of whom are killed (May 15).
- Apollo and Soyuz spacecraft take off for US-Soviet link-up in space (July 15).
- Population: 4.086 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Andrei D. Sakharov (USSR)
- John N. Mitchell, H. R. Haldeman, John D. Ehrlichman found guilty of Watergate cover-up (Jan. 1); sentenced to 30 months to 8 years in jail (Feb. 21).
- President Ford escapes assassination attempt in Sacramento, Calif. (Sept. 5).
- President Ford escapes second assassination attempt in 17 days (Sept. 22).
- President: Gerald R. Ford
- Vice President: Nelson A. Rockefeller
- Population: 215,973,199
- Life expectancy: 72.6 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $1,630.60 billion
- Federal spending: $332.33 billion
- Federal debt: $541.9 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $11,800
- Consumer Price Index: 53.8
- Unemployment: 8.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.10 ($0.13 as of 12/31/75)
- Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers defeated Minnesota Vikings (SCORE 16-6)
- World Series of Baseball Cincinnati Reds defeated Boston Red Sox
- National Basketball Association Championship Golden St. Warriors defeated Washington Bullets
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Philadelphia Flyers defeated Buffalo
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Billie Jean King defeated E. Cawley (6-0 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Arthur Ashe defeated Jimmy Connors (6-1 6-1 5-7 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Foolish Pleasure
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship UCLA defeated Kentucky (SCORE 92-85)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Oklahoma (RECORD 11-1-0)
- ABC, CBS and NBC agree to create a "family hour," an early evening time slot.
- Saturday Night Live premieres on NBC. George Carlin hosts the first show.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Godfather Part II
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year I Honestly Love You by Olivia Newton-John
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - CBS
- Miss America: Rebecca Shirley Cothran (Texas)
- Home videotape systems (VCRs) are developed in Japan by Sony (Betamax) and Matsushita (VHS).
- The Altair home computer kit allows consumers to build and program their own personal computers.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster