Information for the Year 1976
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot becomes prime minister (and virtual dictator) of Cambodia after Prince Sihanouk steps down (April 2).
- Israeli airborne commandos attack Uganda's Entebbe Airport and free 103 hostages held by pro-Palestinian hijackers of Air France plane; one Israeli and several Ugandan soldiers killed in raid (July 4).
- 19-month civil war ends in Lebanon after threatening to escalate to global level (Nov.).
- Population: 4.158 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Mairead Corrigan and Betty Williams (both Northern Ireland)
- US Supreme Court rules that blacks and other minorities are entitled to retroactive job seniority (March 24).
- Ford signs Federal Election Campaign Act (May 11).
- US Supreme Court rules that death penalty is not inherently cruel or unusual and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment (July 3).
- President: Gerald R. Ford
- Vice President: Nelson A. Rockefeller
- Population: 218,035,164
- Life expectancy: 72.9 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $1,819.00 billion
- Federal spending: $371.79 billion
- Federal debt: $629.0 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $12,686
- Consumer Price Index: 56.9
- Unemployment: 7.7%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.13
- Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers defeated Dallas Cowboys (SCORE 21-17)
- World Series of Baseball Cincinnati Reds defeated New York Yankees
- National Basketball Association Championship Boston defeated Phoenix
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadiens defeated Philadelphia Flyers
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Chris Evert defeated E. Cawley (6-3 4-6 8-6)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Bjorn Borg defeated I. Nastase (6-4 6-2 9-7)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Bold Forbes
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Indiana defeated Michigan (SCORE 86-68)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions University of Pittsburgh (RECORD 12-0-0)
- 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal, Canada
- 1976 Winter Olympics held in Innsbruck, Austria
- The Steadicam is used for the first time in Rocky.
- NBC broadcasts Gone with the Wind and scores record-breaking ratings.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Love Will Keep Us Together by Captain and Tennille
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - CBS
- Miss America: Tawney Elaine Godin (New York)
- Air France and British Airways begin the first regularly scheduled commercial supersonic transport (SST) flights.
- Viking I lands on Mars.
- The US Navy tests the Tomahawk cruise missile.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster