Information for the Year 1977
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Deng Xiaoping, purged Chinese leader, restored to power as Gang of Four is expelled from Communist Party (July 22).
- South African activist Steve Biko dies in police custody (Sept. 12).
- Nuclear-proliferation pact, curbing spread of nuclear weapons, is signed by 15 countries, including US and USSR (Sept. 21).
- Population: 4.230 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Amnesty International
- First woman Episcopal priest ordained (Jan. 1).
- Scientists identify previously unknown bacterium as cause of mysterious "legionnaire's disease" (Jan. 18).
- Carter pardons Vietnam war draft evaders (Jan. 21).
- President: James Earl Carter, Jr.
- Vice President: Walter F. Mondale
- Population: 220,239,425
- Life expectancy: 73.3 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $2,026.90 billion
- Federal spending: $409.22 billion
- Federal debt: $706.4 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $13,572
- Consumer Price Index: 60.6
- Unemployment: 7.1%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.13
- Super Bowl Oakland Raiders defeated Minnesota Vikings(SCORE 32-14)
- World Series of Baseball New York Yankees defeated Los Angeles Dodgers
- National Basketball Association Championship Portland defeated Philadelphia 76ers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadiens defeated Boston Bruins
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Virginia Wade defeated B. Stove (4-6 6-3 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Bjorn Borg defeated J. Connors (3-6 6-2 6-1 5-7 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Seattle Slew
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Marquette defeated North Carolina (SCORE 67-59)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Notre Dame (RECORD 11-1-0)
- The TV miniseries Roots draws an audience of 130 million.
- Star Wars hits theaters--for the first time--and will go on to be the second highest-grossing film of all time.
- Saturday Night Fever sparks the disco inferno and the popularity of movie soundtracks.
- Elvis Presley dies at Graceland, his Memphis, Tenn. home. He was 42.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Rocky
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year This Masquerade by George Benson
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - CBS
- Miss America: Dorothy Kathleen Benham (Minnesota)
- The neutron bomb is developed.
- The space shuttle Enterprise makes its first test glide, from the back of a 747.
- Paul MacCready (US) develops the Gossamer Condor, the first successful human-powered aircraft.
- Lasers are first used to initiate a fusion reaction.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster