Information for the Year 1980
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Six US embassy aides escape from Iran with Canadian help (Jan. 29).
- US breaks diplomatic ties with Iran (April 7).
- Eight US servicemen are killed and five are injured as helicopter and cargo plane collide in abortive desert raid to rescue American hostages in Teheran (April 25).
- Anastasio Somoza Debayle, ousted Nicaraguan ruler, and two aides are assassinated in Paraguayan capital of Asunción (Sept. 17).
- Iraqi troops hold 90 square miles of Iran after invasion; 8-year Iran-Iraq War begins (Sept. 19).
- Population: 4.453 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Adolfo Pérez Esquivel (Argentina)
- F.B.I.'s undercover operation "Abscam" (for Arab scam) implicates public officials (Feb. 2).
- Ronald Reagan elected president in Republican sweep (Nov. 4).
- President: James Earl Carter, Jr.
- Vice President: Walter F. Mondale
- Population: 227,224,681
- Life expectancy: 73.7 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $2,784.20 billion
- Federal spending: $590.95 billion
- Federal debt: $909.1 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars):$17,710
- Consumer Price Index: 82.4
- Unemployment: 7.1%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15
- Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers defeated the Los Angeles Rams( SCORE 31-19)
- World Series of Baseball Philadelphia Phillies defeated the Kansas City Royals
- National Basketball Association Championship LA Lakers defeated Philadelphia 76ers.
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup New York Islanders defeated Philadelphia Flyers.
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Evonne Cawley defeated Chrissy Evert Lloyd (6-1 7-6)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Bjorn Borg defeated J. McEnroe (1-6 7-5 6-3 6-7 8-6)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Genuine Risk
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Louisville defeated UCLA (SCORE 59-54)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Georgia (RECORD 12-0-0)
- 1980 Summer Olympics held in Moscow, Russia (USSR)
- 1980 Winter Olympics held in Lake Placid, New York (US)
- John Lennon of the Beatles dies in New York City.
- Ted Turner launches CNN, the first all-news network.
- Mark Morris establishes the Mark Morris Dance Group in New York and is widely received as the most promising modern-dance choreographer of his generation.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Kramer vs. Kramer
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year What a Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy Taxi - ABC
- Miss America: Cheryl Prewitt (Mississippi)
- Janice Brown, a 98-lb. former teacher, makes the first long-distance solar-powered flight in the Solar Challenger.
- Voyager I reaches Saturn, returning data on its 14 moons as well as its more than 1,000 rings (November).
- Philadelphia's Wistar Institute develops a new, less painful rabies vaccine.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster