Information for the Year 1983
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Pope John Paul II signs new Roman Catholic code incorporating changes brought about by Second Vatican Council (Jan. 25).
- Benigno S. Aquino, Jr., 50, political rival of Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos, is assassinated in Manila (Aug. 21).
- South Korean Boeing 747 jetliner bound for Seoul apparently strays into Soviet airspace and is shot down by a Soviet SU-15 fighter after it had tracked the airliner for two hours; all 269 aboard are killed. (Aug. 30).
- Terrorist explosion kills 237 US Marines in Beirut (Oct. 23).
- US invades Grenada (Oct. 25).
- Population: 4.690 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Lech Walesa (Poland)
- Second space shuttle, Challenger, makes successful maiden voyage, which includes the first US space walk in nine years (April 4).
- Sally K. Ride, 32, first US woman astronaut in space as a crew member aboard space shuttle Challenger (June 18).
- President: Ronald W. Reagan
- Vice President: George Bush
- Population: 233,791,994
- Life expectancy: 74.6 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $3,514.50 billion
- Federal spending: $808.38 billion
- Federal debt: $1371.7 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $20,885
- Consumer Price Index: 99.6
- Unemployment: 9.6%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.20
- Super Bowl Washington Redskins defeated Miami Dolphins (SCORE 27-17)
- World Series of Baseball Baltimore Orioles defeated Philadelphia Phillies
- National Basketball Association Championship Philadelphia 76ers defeated Los Angeles Lakers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup New York Islanders defeated Edmonton Oilers
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Martina Navratilova defeated A. Jaeger (6-0 6-3)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis John McEnroe defeated C. Lewis (6-2 6-2 6-2)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Sunny's Halo
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship N.C. State d. Houston (SCORE 54-52)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Miami-FL (RECORD 11-1-0)
- With the introduction of noise-free compact discs, the vinyl record begins a steep decline.
- Singer Karen Carpenter dies of complications from anorexia nervosa at age 32.
- More than 125 million viewers tune in to the last episode of M*A*S*H.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Gandhi
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Rosanna by Toto
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy Cheers - NBC
- Miss America: Debra Maffett (California)
- The FCC authorizes Motorola to begin testing cellular phone service in Chicago.
- The El Niņo phenomenon disrupts global weather patterns.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster