Information for the Year 1987
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Iraqi missiles kill 37 in attack on US frigate Stark in Persian Gulf (May 17); Iraqi president Hussein apologizes (May 18).
- Prime Minister Thatcher wins rare third term in Britain (June 11).
- Klaus Barbie, 73, Gestapo wartime chief in Lyon, sentenced to life by French court for war crimes (July 4).
- Population: 5.018 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Oscar Arias Sánchez (Costa Rica)
- US Supreme Court rules Rotary Clubs must admit women (May 4).
- US Supreme Court Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr., retires (June 26).
- Oliver North, Jr., tells Congressional inquiry higher officials approved his secret Iran-Contra operations (July 7–10).
- Admiral John M. Poindexter, former National Security Adviser, testifies he authorized use of Iran arms sale profits to aid Contras (July 15–22).
- George P. Shultz testifies he was deceived repeatedly on Iran-Contra affair (July 23–24).
- Defense Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger tells inquiry of official deception and intrigue (July 31, Aug. 3).
- Reagan says Iran arms-Contra policy went astray and accepts responsibility (Aug. 12).
- Senate, 58-42, rejects Robert H. Bork as US Supreme Court Justice (Oct. 23).
- President: Ronald W. Reagan
- Vice President: George Bush
- Population: 242,288,918
- Life expectancy: 74.9 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $4,692.30 billion
- Federal spending: $1003.91 billion
- Federal debt: $2346.1 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $26,061
- Consumer Price Index: 113.6
- Unemployment: 6.2%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.22
- Super Bowl New York Giants defeat Denver Broncos (SCORE 39-20)
- World Series of Baseball Minnesota defeated St. Louis Cardinals
- National Basketball Association Championship LA Lakers defeats Boston
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Edmonton Oilers defeat Philadelphia Flyers
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Martina Navratilova defeats S. Graf (7-5 6-3)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Pat Cash defeats I. Lendl (7-6 6-2 7-5)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Alysheba
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Indiana defeated Syracuse (SCORE 74-73)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Miami-FL (RECORD 12-0-0)
- World Cup Soccer Argentina defeated W. Germany
- thirtysomething debuts on ABC and departs from typical dramas, featuring analytical, self-absorbed baby-boomer characters.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Platoon
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Higher Love by Steve Winwood
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy The Golden Girls - NBC
- Miss America: Kellye Cash (Tennessee)
- Richard Branson and Per Lindstrand make the first transatlantic hot-air balloon flight. 2,790 miles from Sugarloaf Mountain, Maine, to Ireland Virgin Atlantic Flyer (July 2–4)
- Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager make the first nonstop flight around the world without refueling. The Voyager flew around the world (24,986 miles) from Edwards AFB, California, returning in 216 hours, 3 minutes, and 44 seconds (Dec. 14–23).
- The Voyager 2 probe passes Uranus in January, returning images and data on its moon, rings, atmosphere, interior, and magnetic field.
- Halley's comet yields information on return visit (April 10)
- An international treaty signed in Montreal calls for a 50% reduction in the use of CFCs by the year 2000 (Sept. 16).
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster