Information for the Year 1990
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- General Manuel Noriega surrenders in Panama (Jan. 3).
- Yugoslav Communists end 45-year monopoly of power (Jan. 22).
- Communist Party relinquish sole power in Soviet government (Feb. 7).
- South Africa frees Nelson Mandela, imprisoned 27½ years (Feb. 11).
- Western Alliance ends Cold War and proposes joint action with Soviet Union and Eastern Europe (July 6).
- Iraqi troops invade Kuwait, setting off the Persian Gulf War (Aug. 2)
- East and West Germany reunited (Aug. 31)
- Margaret Thatcher resigns as British Prime Minister (Nov. 22); John Major succeeds her (Nov. 28).
- Lech Walesa wins Poland's runoff Presidential election (Dec. 9).
- Population: 5.276 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Mikhail S. Gorbachev (USSR - Russia)
- US Supreme Court upsets law banning flag burning (June 11).
- US Appeals Court overturns Oliver North's Iran-Contra conviction (July 20).
- Republicans set back in midterm elections (Nov. 8).
- President: George Bush
- Vice President: J. Danforth Quayle
- Population: 249,438,712
- Life expectancy: 75.4 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $5,743.80 billion
- Federal spending: $1252.52 billion
- Federal debt: $3206.6 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars):$29,943
- Consumer Price Index: 130.7
- Unemployment: 5.6%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.25
- Super Bowl San Francisco 49ers defeated the Denver Broncos (SCORE 55-10)
- World Series of Baseball Cincinnati Red Socks defeated the Oakland A's
- National Basketball Association Championship Detroit defeated Portland
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Edmonton Oilers defeated Boston Red Wings
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Martina Navratilova defeated Z. Garrison (6-4 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Stefan Edberg defeated B. Becker (6-2 6-2 3-6 3-6 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Unbridled
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship UNLV defeated DUKE (SCORE 104-73)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Colorado (RECORD 11-1-1) and Georgia Tech (RECORD 11-0-1)
- World Cup Soccer West Germany defeated Argentina
- Ninety-nine percent of U.S. households have at least one radio, with the average owning five.
- The Simpsons debuts on Fox and becomes an instant hit.
- Euro dance band Milli Vanilli admits to lip-synching hits such as "Girl You Know Its True," and has its Grammy award revoked.
- Seinfeld debuts on NBC.
- Entertainment Weekly hits newsstands.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Driving Miss Daisy
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy MURPHY BROWN - CBS
- Miss America: Debbye Turner (Missouri)
- The Hubble Space Telescope is launched (Apr. 25).
- President Bush signs the Clean Air Act, mandating a variety of pollution-reducing changes in the automobile and fuel industries.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster