Information for the Year 1992
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Bush and Yeltsin proclaim a formal end to the Cold War (Feb. 1).
- US lifts trade sanctions against China (Feb. 21).
- General Manuel Noriega, former leader of Panama, convicted in US court (April 9) and sentenced to 40 years on drug charges (July 10).
- US forces leave Philippines, ending nearly a century of American military presence (Nov. 24).
- Czechoslovak Parliament approves separation into two nations (Nov. 25).
- UN approves US-led force to guard food for Somalia (Dec. 3).
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signed (Dec. 17).
- Population: 5.441 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: Rigoberta Menchú (Guatemala)
- Four officers acquitted in Los Angeles beating of Rodney King; violence erupts in Los Angeles (April 29)
- Caspar W. Weinberger indicted in Iran-Contra affair (June 16).
- Democratic convention nominates Bill Clinton and Al Gore (July 1).
- Court clears Exxon Valdez skipper (July 10).
- Four police officers indicted in Rodney King beating (Aug. 5).
- Republicans renominate Bush and Quayle (Aug. 20).
- Senate ratifies second Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (Oct. 1).
- Bill Clinton elected President, Al Gore Vice President; Democrats keep control of Congress (Nov. 3).
- Bush pardons former Reagan Administration officials involved in Iran-Contra affair (Dec. 24).
- President: George Bush
- Vice President: J. Danforth Quayle
- Population: 254,994,517
- Life expectancy: 75.8 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $6,244.40 billion
- Federal spending: $1380.86 billion
- Federal debt: $4002.1 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars):$30,636
- Consumer Price Index: 140.3
- Unemployment: 7.5%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.29
- Super Bowl Washington Redskins defeated Buffalo Bills (SCORE 37-24)
- World Series of Baseball Toronto defeated Atlanta Braves
- National Basketball Association Championship Chicago defeated Portland
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Pittsburgh Penguins defeated Chicago Blackhawks
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Steffi Graf defeated Monica Seles (6-2 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Andre Agassi defeated G. Ivanisevic (6-7 6-4 6-4 1-6 6-4)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Lil E. Tee
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Duke defeated Michigan (SCORE 71-51)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Alabama (RECORD 13-0-0)
- 1992 Summer Olympics held in Barcelona, Spain
- 1992 Winter Olympics held in Albertville, France
- Compact discs surpass cassette tapes as the preferred medium for recorded music.
- There are 900 million television sets in use around the world; 201 million are in the United States.
- Johnny Carson hosts The Tonight Show for the last time. He had ruled late-night television for 20 years.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Silence of the Lambs,
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Unforgettable by Natalie Cole with Nat King Cole
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy MURPHY BROWN - CBS
- Miss America: Carolyn Suzanne Sapp (Hawaii)
- A text-based Web browser is made available to the public (Jan.); within a few years, millions of people become regular users of the World Wide Web
- 172 nations various address issues of environmental protection and sustainable development at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. Some sign binding agreements to minimize global climate change and preserve biodiversity.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster