Information for the Year 1993
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Vaclav Havel elected Czech President (Jan. 26).
- British House of Commons approves European unity pact (May 20). Maastricht Treaty takes effect, creating European Union (Nov. 1).
- Twenty-two UN troops killed in Somalia (June 5).
- Israeli-Palestinian accord reached (Aug. 28).
- Yeltsin's forces crush revolt in Russian Parliament (Oct. 4
- China breaks nuclear test moratorium (Oct. 5).
- South Africa adopts majority rule constitution (Nov. 18).
- Population: 5.522 billion
- Nobel Peace Prize: F. W. de Klerk and Nelson Mandela (both South Africa)
- Federal agents besiege Texas Branch Davidian religious cult after six are killed in raid (March 1). Fire kills 72 as cult standoff in Texas ends with federal assault (April 19).
- Five arrested, sixth sought in bombing of World Trade Center in New York (March 29).
- Two police officers convicted in Los Angeles on civil rights charges in Rodney King beating (April 17); sentenced Aug. 4.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg appointed to Supreme Court (June 14).
- US agents blamed in Waco, Tex., siege (Oct. 1).
- House of Representatives approves North American Free Trade Agreement (Nov. 17); Senate follows (Nov. 21).
- Clinton signs Brady bill regulating firearms purchases (Nov. 30)
- President: William J. Clinton
- Vice President: Albert Gore, Jr
- Population: 257,746,103
- Life expectancy: 75.5 years
- US GDP (1998 dollars): $6,558.10 billion
- Federal spending: $1408.68 billion
- Federal debt: $4351.4 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): $31,241
- Consumer Price Index: 144.5
- Unemployment: 6.9%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.29
- Super Bowl Dallas Cowboys defeated Buffalo Bills (SCORE 52-17)
- World Series of Baseball Toronto defeated Philadelphia Phillies
- National Basketball Association Championship Chicago defeated Phoenix
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Montreal Canadiens defeated Los Angeles Kings
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Steffi Graf defeated J. Novotna (7-6 1-6 6-4)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Pete Sampras defeated J. Courier (7-6 7-6 3-6 6-3)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Sea Hero
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship North Carolina defeated Michigan (SCORE 77-71)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions Florida St.(RECORD 12-1-0)
- Academy Award, Best Picture: Unforgiven
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy SEINFELD - NBC
- Miss America: Leanza Cornett (Florida)
- Mosaic is developed by Marc Andreeson at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA). It becomes the dominant navigating system for the World Wide Web, which at this time accounts for only 1% of all Internet traffic.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), tuberculosis threatens to kill more than 30 million in the next decade.
- The FDA approves the use of the synthetic hormone BST (bovine somatotropin) to increase milk production in dairy cows.
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster