Information for the Year 2007
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
- Report Says Iran Has Halted Nuclear Weapons Program
- Palestinian and Israeli Leaders Pledge to Work Toward Peace
- North Korea Makes Concessions on Nuclear Program
- Political Turmoil in Pakistan
- Sudan Resists UN Efforts for Peace
- Population: 6,602,224,175
- Nobel Peace Prize: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.
- Queen Elizabeth II visits America (fifth time in 50 years) for the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, Virginia and also meets with families from the Virginia Tech Massacre.
- The Bush administration was rocked by scandal in December, when it was revealed that in 2005 the CIA destroyed videotapes of the 2002 interrogation of two al-Qaeda suspects, Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.
- On January 4, 2007, California Democrat Nancy Pelosi became the first woman Speaker of the House as Democrats took control of both houses of Congress for the first time since 1994.
- An accelerated primary schedule that has the Iowa caucuses on January 3 and the New Hampshire primary just five days later resulted in an early presidential campaign season. (Or was it the other way around, and the early campaign season resulted in early primaries?) Regardless, the races for the Democratic and Republican nominations were in full force in early 2007.
- President: George W. Bush
- Vice President: Richard Cheney
- Population: 301 million
- Life expectancy: 80.97 years
- US GDP (2007 dollars): $13,551.9 billion
- Federal spending: $2,730.2 Billion
- Federal debt: $9,229 billion
- Median Household Income(current dollars): 2007 Data Not yet available from the Census Bureau
- Consumer Price Index: 207.3
- Unemployment: 4.6%
- Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.41
- Super Bowl Indianapolis Colts defeated the Chicago Bears (SCORE 29-17)
- World Series of Baseball Boston Red Sox defeated Colorado Rockies
- National Basketball Association Championship San Antonio Spurs defeated Cleveland Cavaliers
- National Hockey League Stanley Cup Anaheim Ducks defeated Ottawa Senators
- Women Wimbledon Tennis Venus Williams defeated Marion Bartoli (6-4, 6-1)
- Men Wimbledon Tennis Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal (7-6(7) 4-6 7-6(3) 2-6 6-2)
- Kentucky Derby Horse Race Champion Street Sense
- National College Athletic Association Basketball Championship Florida Gators defeated Ohio State Buckeyes (SCORE 84-75)
- National College Athletic Association Football Champions LSU (12-2-0)
- The game show Deal or No Deal with host Howie Mandel is a huge hit.
- Jordin Sparks wins the 6th season of the popular singing competition American Idol, with Blake Lewis as the runner up.
- Bob Barker retires from The Price Is Right after 35 years as host and after 50 years on television. Barker's final episode aired both in its regular daytime slot and in prime time leading into the Daytime Emmy Awards.
- Drew Carey is announced as Bob Barker's successor on The Price Is Right.
- The Disney Channel premiere showing of High School Musical 2 becomes the most-watched made-for-cable movie ever, receiving 17.24 million viewers.
- Academy Award, Best Picture: The Departed
- Grammy Award - Record of the Year Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks
- Emmy Award - Best Television Comedy 30 Rock - NBC
- Miss America: Lauren Nelson Lawton, Okalahoma
- Airbus A380-Developed as the most spacious passenger aircraft to date, Airbus A380 took off for the first time in 2007. With 6,460 square feet of floor space, two floors, and a 262-foot wingspan, the 560-ton aircraft is the largest passenger aircraft ever built.
- In 2007, scientists announced that they found five planets circling a star 41 light-years away from Earth in the constellation Cancer. It is the most extensive planetary system ever discovered and one that resembles our solar system. The first planet was detected in 1996 orbiting its star called 55 Cancri at a distance of 500 million miles.
- August 1, Minneapolis, Minn.: An eight-lane interstate bridge packed with cars broke into sections and collapsed into the Mississippi River
All of the Information on this site is from Fact Monster